Monday, June 2, 2008

Sex and the City: The Movie

So, if you couldn't tell from the title, I just saw the Sex and the City Movie. I will do my best to avoid spoilers, but some things are inevitably going to come out, so don't read this unless you've seen it or can handle the dirt.

First of all, I'm aching that I didn't get to follow through on the original plan to go see this movie with two of my best friends ever, Inna and Ashley. A multi-state best friendship would be easier if we had the magical financial abilities of the characters in the movie. (Ps. how do those women afford all that stuff...? When would a journalist in NY, NY be able to afford all of those designer shoes, not to mention the purses, dresses, apartments, parties, etc... I wish my writers would increase the cash flow to magical levels like that...) Anyways, I spent half the movie wishing I could be there with my good friends, drinking cosmos, and feeling that wonderful feeling of camaraderie when you've shared so many experiences and are just happy to be in each others' company. Not that I wasn't completely happy to watch it with Sandip. He's a sweetheart and one of the three men in the movie theater. I'm pretty sure the other two were holding hands.

However, judging from the previews before the movie, I'm guessing chick flicks will abound in the near future, so we'll see one of those together. However, it won't be the same. Then again, we probably would have been the annoying women in the theater that kept going, "OMG! They're talking about that one episode where Carrie was in Paris!" "OH! Alexander Petrovski!!" Then, of course, Inna would say that she loved him best because he was Russian, to which I would HAVE to respond that he was a total sleaze bag that deserved to be kicked in the nuts. Since, I think Ashley liked Aiden best, this would have come up and much drama ensued, in the middle of the movie. So, we will wait until the DVD comes out and we'll watch it in a room where we will only disturb each other.

So, what did I think of the movie? It was good. In parts, it was dramatic. In other parts, it was laugh for 3 minutes straight funny. I felt like some of it went too fast. I'm used to things being strung out between episodes, but this was like watching an entire season in one sitting. Don't get me wrong, I really, really liked it. When I watch it with my friends in the fall, post-Peru, I will love every second of it. But it was a lot to take in, sometimes.

However, I have to say that I really like the phenomenon. As much as every guy groans when they hear that Sex and the City was liberating for women, it really was. It was a whole bonus women's movement, starting in the late 90's. It helped de-youth glamor. These women were in their mid to late 30's (and beyond in Samantha's case), but they were still, in a word, fabulous. Men still wanted them, they were still beautiful, and most importantly, they could be independent. Sure, every moment was filled with drama and fights, but so is life. It also helped put women on an equal footing with men in terms of sex. It is a well-known fact that a guy that sleeps around is admirable. A guy can sleep with 30 women and be told that he is "living the dream." A woman in the same position is a grade-A, piece of slut. Now, don't get me wrong, I find myself judging all the time, very unfairly. But if you look down on one, look down on the other. I just want equal treatment here! Before you say that you do, really, really think about it. Most guys will get a "boys will be boys," even if you're slightly disgusted. Women never get off so lucky.

Beyond that, though, underneath all of the drama, there was a message about relationships and their imperfections. No relationship is perfect. Any relationship that hasn't had a big fight doesn't have enough honesty in it, and I really believe that. Nobody is 100% compatible. It's impossible. It's when you can acknowledge every flaw, every annoying little habit, every failure to communicate, but love someone despite (or even because) of them that you have a real relationship.

That said, I think this is a great time to plug living together. Living together is the new engaged. Engaged is the new married, and married is the new five year anniversary. What's the five year anniversary? It's the new ten year anniversary, and ten is the new twenty. Beyond that, making a relationship last that long is just plain impressive. But living together for the first time after marriage seems so much harder. When you live together, you can't escape back to your place when you get in a fight. You have to get along or else. Every little crack and flaw come into view. You have to like it or lump it, as my brother would apparently say.

It's a great way to figure out if you love somebody, as I mentioned above. Not that I love being lectured about picking up my stuff. I got enough of that from my mother growing up, but I think the whole experience of living together has been very educational. Speaking of my mom, don't go see the movie. Except for the whole power to the older woman thing, I doubt you'll enjoy it. Anyone who could be labeled a prude, in general, I would advise against it. The rest of the world, go! Enjoy! It's totally worth it, especially if you can go with your very good friends. Love you, miss you!! One week until Peru!!

No comments: